Christmas Tree FestivalCountdown
St Columb's Cathedral
Home Worship Magazine Visit us Events Organisations Administration
Sunday 11th December Sunday School Christmas Extravaganza @ 11 am  -  Christmas Tree Festival - 15th to 19th December 2016 - for FAQ's see CTF link in events tab  -  Sunday 18th December Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols

“The Cathedral is widely recognised locally,

nationally and internationally for its active promotion of ecumenical

and bridge-building activities and this role is reflected in the regard

 in which the building is held as a religious venue

which is acceptable to all sections of the community.”

 

It was in the year 1613 that James I formed, by Royal Charter, the new County of Londonderry and that The Honourable The Irish Society was established to build the City. Paramount in their plans was the erection of the Cathedral and they immediately sent over from London a silver-gilt chalice (the 'Promised Chalice') and paten for the Church they hoped to build. The following year a bell was sent over from London with the legend: 'Fear God, Honour the King. Re-cast for Londonderry Steeple in 1614'.

 

Construction work began in 1628 and the stone which records completion is to be seen in the porch of the Cathedral:

 

"lf stones could speake

Then London’s prayse

Should sounde who

Built tbis Church and

Cittie from the grounde".

 

  

The Cathedral was built of stone from local quarries and skilled stone cutters and masons had to be procured. The old pillars and arches bear testimony to sound judgement and first-rate craftsmanship.

 







St Columb's is the first Cathedral in the British 'Isles to have been built after the Reformation and is a fine example of 'Planter's Gothic'. There was practically no change in the appearance of the building from 1633 to 1776 when the Bishop of Derry (the 4th Earl of Bristol) added 21 feet to the tower, and placed above this a very tall and graceful stone spire, making a total height of 221 feet, but about 20 years afterwards, his addition to the tower showed signs of giving way and the whole was taken down and rebuilt, the tower being completed in 1802 and the spire being added about 20 years later.

 

The nave however remained exactly as it was until 1825 when the South Porch was removed.  In 1827 the eastern turrets were either rebuilt or else surmounted by domes; before this they appear with battlements.

 

In 1861/2 the interior of the Cathedral was entirely re-modelled, the old square pews were removed, and all the present oak work of the nave was provided, and the galleries in the aisles taken away. Many other improvements were made in the ornaments and furnishings of the building.

 

The addition of the chancel in 1887 completed the Cathedral on the plan of its founders - the foundations had actually been laid in 1633 and were discovered during building operations. The erection of the Chapter House in 1910 not only provided much needed accommodation for the clergy and choir, but also added greatly to the external appearance of the Cathedral.

The Bishop has announced that Canon Raymond Stewart has been appointed Dean of Derry &

Rector of Templemore, The date for Canon Stewart's Installation will be announced shortly.